Thursday, May 12, 2011

1943

I do remember a couple of things that took place in 1943, on my brothers first day of school I spent a good part of the day on the porch waiting for him, I had a toy guitar, move to blank.  I also remember that someone at the shipyard was taking food from Dad's lunchbox.  He took a dog biscuit (they used to be shaped sort of like a Hershey bar), and Mom had some baking chocolate, they melted some and coated the dog biscuit; that was the end of someone taking food from Dad. 1943 is also the year of the so-called steel penny, it was really zinc, it was, and is, a mild curiosity; the copper was harder to get than zinc for the war effort.  I still have some of the ration books (can't scan, we're packing to move) so you can find an image on Google.


The Commissioning of the Destroyer USS Abbot DD629, in Bath Maine
German bombers
Every one was worried about being attacked from the air, Germany being closer to Maine than Japan, we only worried about the German ones.  I was a bit scared of 'planes until I was about 10, but in that time I saw some interesting friendly ones.  I saw a Flying Wing once, probably on it's way to Bangor or Limestone.

                                            ON A SEPARATE NOTE:
Ain't that the truth

No comments:

Post a Comment