Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Copper Beech

A "young" Copper Beech
I wanted to show a photo of the copper beech tree in Portland, Maine; it stands beside the older building at the Portland Museum of Art.  Each year they do or did light it up, small lights on every branch.  But, no photo to be found, so we'll just talk about it.  Back in my drinking days, when I first returned to Maine I spent the first night sleeping in the gated yard under that tree; there's an emotional tie there, even if that hadn't happened I'd still like the tree.
  Known for the leaf color that gives its name the copper beech, like other beech trees, live long lives, I'll show a photo near the end of a 150 year old tree that had been cut down (for a traffic project).  That tree is being made in to bowls by Mark Goodwin you can see them here: www.woodenbowlshop.com/copper-beech  take a peek.
The leaf color
Mark Goodwin and the 150 year old copper beech.

No comments:

Post a Comment