Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veterans Day 2012

Naval Air Station Alameda, CA on approach
gone but not forgotten.
  I can't help but think back to my Navy days when these holidays arrive.  Wilbur up in North Dakota probably does too.  We spent several years together in buildings pictured in this photo (top) but you can't make them out very well.
  I left Alameda in 1963 and in 1966 I was back, this time in a squadron based in good ole Alameda.  I was fortunate to be able to join the ranks of Enlisted Flight Crews and saw this sight many times from the air.  My total time spent at Alameda is about nine years, half of my Navy life, it's almost like a hometown now.  Of course the base was closed some time ago, all that's left are the ghosts.  You can, as always, click on any photo to view it separately

Here's a view of San Francisco from the
end of the runway in the top photo.
A C131F like the ones I flew on as a crew member,
gone into the sunset, both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment