Sunday, July 24, 2011

2008

More spring snow..I'm wearing the Red Sox hat for luck. Hmmmm...
  Another year with nothing to do, not quite.  I think I've been busier retired than I was when I was working, or maybe I'm old and it just seems that way.  There was a lot of snow over the winter and spring did little to stop it, some years are like that.
  I bought a "new" used car in May, it was only a year old, the other one was hard to get in and out of; now, three years later - this one's the same!  I didn't know cars did that when they got older, age I guess.
  In August we helped my mother celebrate her 95th birthday, she was still getting around pretty good, and my brother picked her up and we all went to his house, she was tired before it was all over.
  I started marching in the Memorial Day and Veterans Day parades in Bangor/Brewer last year I think, anyway I walked in both in 2008, it's not bad at all.  The Memorial Day one is short anyway, just around downtown Bangor and up Main Street.  The Veterans Day parade starts in Brewer and crosses the bridge and goes down Main Street in Bangor, lots of people watch both of them, and I've been publicly thanked for my service many times.  The parade is grouped, there are groups for World Wat 2, Korean War, Vietnam, and Iraq and Afghanistan, plus the bands and scouts - so altogether there must be 300 marchers.
  After Veterans Day it's time to go through another winter, and walk the snowmobile trails!
The replacement for comforts sake.
Geneva Grant, age 95
Talking during a pause in the Veterans Day parade, the woman was the person in charge of Hollies house, the Army Special Forces guy is Urban Vitas a Brewer resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment