|Here it is, an unusual story indeed - click to enlarge|
Built in 1908 the tower is 25 feet tall and the lamp is lit by a 100 watt bulb. The light is intensified by the lens of a ships anchor light. The purpose of the light was to make sure the passenger launch from one end of the lake didn't run aground on the ledge.
The Cobbosseecontee Yacht Club erected the tower with the help of two oxen. Due to the size of their barge, they could only transport one at a time. They took the first one to the island, and then returned to shore for the second. In the interval the first ox grew lonely, and began swimming back to the mainland as the workers returned with its partner. Finally, both oxen were successfully transported, and the lighthouse was built over the course of the summer. (from Wikipedia)
|A featured painting|
|A different view|