|Remains of the Powder House, Fort Sullivan Eastport Maine|
During the War of 1812 Fort Sullivan was captured by British forces. Renamed Fort Sherbrooke it was held because of a boundry dispute between Canada (Britian) and the United States.
After it was "won" back and had it's original name the Fort was occupied until the end of the U S Civil War in 1865. The remains of the Powder House are on the National Historic Register. A replica of the Fort and all of its' buildings can be seen at The Border Historical Society's Barracks Museum in Eastport. Visit www.borderhistoricalsociety.com for more information.
|The Powder House remains in 2009. Bangor Daily News photo.|