|Shown on this old postcard|
Built in 1874 after being authorized by President Grant the Light consisted of a building (quarters) that was 12 by 12 feed with the tower built on the roof, a 1200 pound fog bell was located in a separate wooden tower. The house was built of brick and the tower was built of wood.
Boat sheds and runways for boats were built over the years and most of them were destroyed by storms. There was no soil on the rock and keeper were using raised beds with loam brought from nearby islands to grow flowers and vegetables. The keepers wives would can food for the winter, but there was no room for animals or hens.
|Avery Rock in this photo taken in 1892|
|This 1926 photo shows storm damage to the bell tower|
|Another postcard shows the boat house and runway|