Thursday, December 23, 2010

It's getting...

...close to Christmas, and I'm out of ideas,
maybe Santa will bring me, or I'm hoping he hears...
..my requests for material, or a whole new brain,
so I can keep going, or stop my brain drain.

So, here's what I offer for you today,
Christmas in Japan, on that I can say...
..I spent two there, in that eastern land,
where Christmas is different, break out the band.

Please understand that there aren't many Christians,
who celebrate the way we do here,
and trees then were rare, but you see them now,
45 years ago they'd just meet and bow.

The cards that I used to send folks back home,
featured bamboo drawn with ink with a pen (of bone?),
maybe a photo of Mt. Fuji for view,
but, as you'll see, Christmas there is now new.

メリークリスマス (Merīkurisumasu) - they do say Merry Christmas.
I think my good friend "Wilbur" spent a Christmas or two in Japan also.


A Christmas card


A display in Tokyo

Yours truly, on the roof of the building where I worked,
Navy Supply Depot, Yokosuka, Japan - 1963

No comments:

Post a Comment