Friday, January 28, 2011

In 1976...

...when I retired from the Navy, I was driving from Virginia Beach to Seattle.  I was driving a 1973 Ford Pinto station wagon (remember those).  Just outside of Medora, North Dakota the car overheated, the air temperature was over 100 degrees,  we were stuck on the side of Interstate 94, maybe 15 miles from town.  Someone stopped and drove me to a garage in Medora, they had a tow truck and we went back for the car.  When we got back, it was closing time, not to matter they said, they stayed open to repair the car.  The owner took my wife and two children to his house, his wife fed them and tried to find a room for the night - because it was July, and the Park was full of tourists there were no available rooms.

My car was quickly repaired, and he was putting together the bill.  He knew I had just retired from the Navy, and what with selling back vacation (leave) time and all, I did have a "bit" of money on hand.
When he handed me the bill I was SHOCKED, for towing, repair and "entertaining my family" the grand total (drum roll please) was.......$21.00!  I'm sure my good friend Glen who lives in that fine State won't be surprised.  That started or intensified my appreciation of the State of North Dakota, and Medora,  home of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

Lots of hills


A river run through


...and the buffalo roam


and, they have winter


No comments:

Post a Comment