Thursday, June 2, 2011

1962

USS Skate and USS Seadragon join up at the North Pole
  I didn't know it at the time but this was to be my last full year at Alameda, for a while it turns out.  My job changed again, slightly, while still working under the expediting chiefs I was assigned to analyze the shortage of critical parts, draw charts and write reports of my findings to the Captain, who was a Supply Corps Officer and Supply Officer for the base, our boss.  So I got a desk, some markers, a typewriter and Sharon Hamilton as a helper.  I didn't really need the help but she could type, but then I'd have to write it all in longhand first, she was a good helper for making phone call though and that was a help, I've never liked telephones.
  Behavior wise, I recall only one incident of "public intoxication" during the year, and (already) with my history that was more than enough.  We all continued to have a good time and do some of what is known today as "party" (I don't know why that term is used).  I bought a car in 1962; a 1959 Hillman Minx, light grey and pastel yellow, nice car but the starter stuck at times and I had to rock the car a bit to get it to engage.  One night I was, I think drunk is the term, the car didn't start, again, and I beat it up, well really I damaged to rubber seal around the door, and dented the hood.  After I beat the damn thing it started.

Remember these?

Athletic shoes (sneakers) have changed a lot in 50 years

Excitement in the Bay Area, the A's were still in Kansas City, so the Giants were "the" team.


No comments:

Post a Comment