Friday, June 17, 2011

1977

The view from the apartment, too bad there weren't more clear days.
  The downward spiral picks up speed.  Things were going to hell in a hand basket for most of the year.  I missed four days of work, without calling in, and was fired.  But, the bank hired me back, and actually gave me a promotion to supervisor of a part of my unit.  I was really trying to hold things together, and started going to AA meetings from time to time but I just wasn't ready to quit.  Booze puts one hell of a hold on some people.  Not everybody that drinks, even heavy drinkers, become addicted, but my brain is wired a little different I guess.  As the year end was approaching I was fired again (same reason).
  I answered an ad in the "help wanted" section of the paper for shipping and receiving at a plant that made Macrame Cord.  I had to take a 12 question test (really a diverse thing) there were questions about latch hooks, UPS, a bill of lading and knitting (I told you it was diverse).  I was the only one, up till then, that answered every question correctly (thanks Mom), but the job had been filled.  By the time I walked home, they were on the phone, they had "invented" a job for me.  It really wasn't a bad place to work, a lot of it I had done before, and since, and we got paid weekly, every single week I was there I got a five or ten cent raise in my hourly pay.  I guess they liked me.
A "lunchroom" near work

Broadway, my hangouts were on this street, in the buildings you can see in the photo

A trip "to the store" involved a walk from that odd shaped building, left edge center to the building on
the right with the small parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment