Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Back to school

North Lebanon Maine
  The day after Labor Day used to be when kids went back to school, not so now though, at least here in Maine.  The photo above is where I started in 1946, 1st grade - that would have been the door on the left, first row of seats on the left, and I had five classmates.  There were four rows of desks, one for each of the first, second, third and fourth grades, in 1950 I went upstairs for grades five, six, seven and eight.  When my father went to the upstairs room it was the high school - I had the same teacher!
  There was no running water, an outhouse in the woodshed, we had a wood stove, and two boys went to Fred Hanscoms well every morning for a pail of water; the water was kept in a stone crock with a spigot, we all shared the same tin cup - none of us got sick from sharing that cup.  (I suspect that would be a real outrage now).
  At recess we played a lot of pickup baseball, or sometimes we just went crazy.  On my very first day of school I got a bloody nose.  There was a huge elm tree in the schoolyard, I was running around it one way, Eldon Woodman was running the other way, oops!  Eldon is a retired Algebra teacher now, so that means I got the most damage, nose and head - don't you think?
This is a fair representation of the schoolroom in Lebanon, this one was in Poland Maine - click to enlarge
Nanticoke School, Union Maine
Harriman Maine
Tomorrow: Maine's newest High School!

No comments:

Post a Comment