Friday, March 9, 2012

Aroostook Valley Trail

Before we start:  This is a new series, thanks to Darlene who recommended it.  I'll dedicate this series to my daughter-in-law Darlene and her friend Nikki - two good walkers.  I think while I go through this it will also be kind of a "bucket list" that won't get a lot of action.  I still walk almost every day, but not at the pace I did a few years ago; but, I'd sure like to have a go at a few of these. \
  We will be talking about mostly rail trails in Maine and some of the Public Lands and State Parks too, are you ready to "take a hike!"?
A wooded section www.traillink.com
  Here is a trail, or trails in The County, you can use this trail from Presque Isle to New Sweden or to Washburn - or both.  I'll include a map that shows the "trail heads", marked with a "P", those are parking areas for your car while you walk.  This tail is about 28 miles, in each direction, so a 56 mile round trip if you want.
  The base of this trail is the rail bed of the only electric railroad Aroostook County had, used to take farm products to market and passengers to work or school.  The bed was re-worked for walking, biking, snowmobiles and AT V's and opened in 1994.
  Please go to www.traillink.com, it's all about rail trails nationwide, for more information on this trail, or just contact me (see the bottom of each days entry) and I'll write back with answers.
Where to go, the arrows or the P's.
Over the Aroostook River www,traillink.com
...and through the bogs.  www.traillink.com

No comments:

Post a Comment