Thursday, April 14, 2011

Autism Awareness Month..

At a check out counter in some store,
can't say which one, was a long time ago;
the girl at the register noticed something was strange,
maybe she wondered if those were our names.

The clerk was quizzical I could see in her eyes,
I knew what she wanted, but I wanted to surprise;
"Hollie" I said "tell her all about you", a twirl..
Hollie thought and then said, "I a autism girl"

Hollie did a fine job I thought,
information given where information was sought.
It's not all that easy to do anymore,
not that we never go in a store.

But Hollie is now a full grown adult, a woman at that,
she'd be glad to explain, at the drop of a hat;
but I'm the one not quite sure what she should say,
so, what I think I'll tell her to do, "thank you, have a nice day".

Some time in the future, I'm not sure quite when,
people won't notice someone not like them,
I often wonder how all that would be like,
but all we can do now - is walk up to the mike…

…April is Autism Awareness Month!!
Thank you and have a nice day!


A little girl, age 2


No comments:

Post a Comment