Friday, July 15, 2011

2001 more stuff

Hollie in 2001 at the door of her new home
  Hollie moved ten years ago, she really likes her home.  There are two residents and the staff rotates days and/or nights.  Hollie can't cook (won't go near a hot stove) but she helps with meals, cleans her room and bathroom and helps with shopping.  She was still in school when she moved there, but now she has a job on Monday mornings and a "day program" on weekdays.
  I retired on June 30th, and started working briefly for Snow and Neally, a Bangor Company with a proud history.  S&N started out making axes and other tools for lumberjacks, but the recent things are gardening tools and axes, hatchets things like that.  I was only there for a couple of months when I got a call from The Salvation Army, where I had applied before, to come in for a talk with them.  I was hired there in October.  I was the Business Administrator; it entailed all accounting functions, except payroll, budgeting, insurance, hiring/firing of store personnel and Seasonal workers (Bell Ringers), building and vehicle maintenance schedules, etc.  You get the idea, I did everything but preach I guess.  It's a good thing you don't have to belong to a church to get the job.  I don't get along with churches very well.
  We saw Hollie every weekend on Saturdays, she could call us and she did.  She once called 17 times in an hours, finally we made a rule that she could call on Thursdays only.  Now it's every other week for calls and outings, phew!  She also gets some holidays, and two weekdays during the warm months.
  So that's how 2001 went down, it was busy with her moving, me retired and new jobs and all of that.
Me with Master Chief Personnalman Phil Bullard, another Navy Retired guy.  Phil was the last boss I had in the Navy he was also a Maine guy.  I ran in to Phil when we came north in 1988 at the mall while walking, happy to see each other.
Phil wrote a book "Republican Bastards" which isn't really about politics (just a little) and a mystery, he had his first book signing when this photo was taken, in Dover-Foxcroft Maine.
After five years Linda's Lupine patch had more than doubled, she worked hard for that.
My Mom and Hollie in Wolfeboro New Hampshire, while we were out for a ride and lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment