Thursday, August 25, 2011

U S Route 202

U S Route 202 indicated by red line (click to enlarge)
  202 is a "child" of route 2; and it's quite a bit longer than the Eastern Segment of route 2.  The route starts in Bangor, Maine and ends in New Castle, Delaware and runs a total of 629.6 miles.
  At times it's a quiet country road and at other times it a four-lane street passing malls and big box stores.  I mentioned the other day that during my lifetime I have lived near or on this highway, mostly near.  I was born in Goodall Hospital in Sanford, Maine which is on 202, and lived up in North Lebanon, 1.25 miles from 202 for my first 14 years, gone for 3 years, then lived briefly on 202 until I joined the Navy.
  Since coming back to Maine we have lived near 202 while in Newburgh and Carmel, so I personally know the Maine portion of the road very well, right now I can drive it in my mind.
  The route has been around since 1934 when it was route 122 (the numbering system was updated in '34).  I have long thought about driving the entire length but I am really not sure the old bones could handle it, but it's nice to think about.
One end of the road is where that traffic light is, the "rotary" in Bangor, Maine
The Bear Mountain Bridge in New York State - we crossed this bridge in 1950 and the Hudson River was lined with
surplus U S Navy ships of all types (some things you never forget)
A rainy day on a busy section in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania

No comments:

Post a Comment