Thursday, October 20, 2011

It's deer season?

This stuff is costly
  Deer season in Maine doesn't start until the 29th of this month, I got an early start.  Monday morning on my way in to Bangor and Brewer a deer ran out about 25 feet in front of me, I put the brakes on and was doing about 20-25mph when I hit her.  She was a very big doe, maybe 130 pounds, tough one too, she got up and ran off after being hit.
  I called 911 to report the accident, it was 4:15AM so I guess the call went to the State Police dispatch and not the County.  Anyway the man told me to hang up and he'd call someone and call me back - he did.  I was told as long a the car was driveable, it was, to just go do what I was doing and someone would call me at home - later.
  I went to the gym for my "little round" of workouts which include six machines that do different muscle groups, I don't use much weight on most of those, just the abdominal one.  I ride the bicycle type machine two miles first to warm up, then I walked a couple of miles; but I still felt bad for the deer.
  I had not received a call so at 1:00PM I called the Sheriffs office, they transferred me to County Dispatch and he transferred me to the State Police Dispatch, they patched me through to the Trooper and we did all of the Police end of stuff over the phone, I was given the "case number".  Still felt bad for the deer.
  I went for an estimate, didn't tell him how the car had been damaged - it just didn't come up; he looked at the car and found four little hairs, "you hit a deer" he said, and I confirmed he was right, he's been in that business for over 40 years.  The estimate was $2,834.00!
  I am still waiting for the insurance company to tell me it's okay to have it fixed, and I still feel bad for the deer. ;(
Dang!
See, I looked better a few days before.

No comments:

Post a Comment