Monday, October 24, 2011

Melanie Safka

Melanie Safka
  This woman as a musician, a much better musician than I ever imagined.  I have always thought she was a "one hit wonder", boy was I ever wrong.
  Here's the song I remember:
          

I got a brand new pair of roller skates,
You got a brand new key.
I think that we should get together and try them out, to see...
I been looking around awhile,
You got something for me
Oh! I got a brand new pair of roller skates,
You got a brand new key.
I ride my bike, I roller skate, don't drive no car,
Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far.
For somebody who don't drive
I been all around the world
Some people say I've done alright for a girl...
The actual title is: A Brand New Key,  I'm betting some of you remember the song, and now the rest of the story (sorry, couldn't help that).
  Born in Queens, New York in February 1947, she graduated from High School in 1966 just like a whole bunch of other kids; then attended the Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City.
  She made her "professional" debut at age 4, singing "Gimme a Little Kiss" on the radio show Live Like a Millionaire.
  She signed a contract with a Record Company in 1969 and took up song writing.  Her, probably, best known song is the Theme from the TV show Beauty and the Beast - "The First Time I Loved Forever".

No comments:

Post a Comment