Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas in Japan

The Colonel is Santa in this display
  I was stationed in Japan for Christmas in 1963 and 1964, and in 1965 I was back again aboard USS Hornet, so I've seen three there.  I can't remember how to say "Merry Christmas" in Japanese, maybe Wilbur remembers.
  I can tell you it was different, more then than now I think.  We had put a tree up, of course, in our office at the command I was attached too, the Naval Supply Depot, Yokosuka.  The last one aboard ship we didn't have a tree, but had fashioned one for everybodies Christmas cards - there used to be a photo of me there, but it's been lost I think.
  The decoration of buildings and public places was different, and it probably was with good reason, there aren't a great number of Christians in Japan so it's more of a civil holiday.
Godzilla in Tokyo
Ornaments made of split bamboo.

No comments:

Post a Comment