Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Project

The Original
  I am going to do, or am doing, a watercolor painting of this truck, I will show you each days work as I get it done.  It will not be a "photo of a photo", I am not a photographic painter.  I call myself a representational painter.  You will recognize that it is a truck.
  The first step is to find a subject I want to paint, save the photo and then print it on plain paper as an 8X10, sometimes in color and once in a while black and white will work.
  I put the printed picture on the back side of a piece of watercolor paper, I use 140 pound paper, to trace the parts of the picture I want to paint.  I have a "light box" to use for tracing, it's simple a metal box about a foot square and two inches thick, it has a translucent plastic top and a light bulb inside.  Place the paper with the photo attached and trace.  Light boxes or even light tables are commonly used to artists, quilters and others from tracing.
  After tracing what I want the photo is set aside for visual reference and the watercolor paper, with the tracing, is taped to my board.  I use corrugated plastic for a board, it's just like corrugated cardboard but it's plastic.  The plastic boards are hard to find here Michael's nor A C Moore don't carry it.  I used to buy it online from A B Dick but now they want me to but 10 sheets minimum, that's enough for 12 life times.  So I'll find a paper backed foam board that is very thick when I need a replacement.
  My paper for this project comes from a spiral bound "book", I just cut it out with a scissors and it's ready to go.  I also but 20X30 inch single pieces that I cut up, it's easier to use the books.  My paint is some I've had for a long time and once in a while I look for a "new" to me color, greens are especially difficult to mix or to paint with and get it to "look right".  I use quality brushes that cost anywhere from $4.00 to $20.00 each and they get replaced about every two years, the brushes are kept in a cloth with pockets and a fold over top and the whole thing is rolled up an tied.
  I took lessons from Scott Small for two years at night school in Hampden, Maine, he is an accomplished and successful artist - a real one, not like me.  I also took some classes at Hammond Street Senior Center in Bangor for a couple of years.  I also use some of the books I have at home.
  Tomorrow:  The first days work.

No comments:

Post a Comment