Tuesday, June 21, 2011

1981

I'll explain...
  The end of a nightmare.  It was February 4th, I had been out drinking for three days, I'd started the spree with a special on dark beer at a place on Fore Street, when the end came I was at the Westfield.
The kids had been going to school, but Rhonda, in the second grade, wore the same clothes each day so the teacher found out I'd not been home and alerted the authorities.  Jeff told the social worker where I could probably be found, he was right of course.  I was seated at the bar when a man walked in and called my name, he motioned me to the lobby and said I was to go the next morning to Community Alcohol Services and ask for Dennis.  I knew the consequences and did as he "suggested", I met Dennis and he walked me, literally, to the detox center that had a bed open, just for me.  February 6, 1981 was my first sober day in a very long time, I haven't had to take a drink since and it's been 30 years, 4 months and 5 days (not that I keep track).
  While I was at detox, Dennis came and took me to the courthouse to meet with someone from the District Attorneys office and a Judge.  A very short discussion gave me a choice, treatment or jail.  Alcoholics are always looking for the easier way, I accepted the treatment.  I went straight back to detox and stayed well over the allotted 10 days, it was 17.  I was transported, by a volunteer, to Merrymeeting House, in Bowdoinham out in the country.  Rehab.  Rehab is supposed to be a 28 day program, this one was no exception, except that about half way through my time we were all sent "home" because it furnace broke.  I took a couple of guys to my, now empty, apartment for the four day break - none of us drank...well we did cheat, a little, we drank caffeinated coffee.  Everyone made it back except one, a pretty good indicator.  I finished up the 32 day 28 day stay (4 days out for the furnace), and returned to my place.  Jeff had been placed with the family of a friend, and Rhonda was placed with her teacher.  The State took six months to send them back, they wanted to make sure I'd stay sober.
  I walked or took a bus to an AA meeting every night that was a workday (I still had my job at the parking garage) and on weekends I could go to two or three meetings a day.  I collected my chips for 30 days, 60 days, four months and by the end of the year I was sober over nine months.  Some days were harder than others, but I made it.
  I had to buy some furniture and a car, it's amazing what money can buy if it's not all spent on booze or beer, simply amazing - things I didn't think I could do, got done!
Merrymeeting House, from the air.  It's changed since I was there.
Chips to mark your time, they didn't have all those colors in 1981.
Transportation at last, just like this one, 1979 Chevy Nova

No comments:

Post a Comment