Wednesday, June 22, 2011

1982

November 6, 1982
  The year kind of speed walked through.  I was so busy with work, kids and making meetings every day.  Then, smart move, I started going to college on Saturdays, hoo boy!  In between all of that I celebrated my first sober year in February, had a small men's group counseling session on Monday afternoon.  I am always early, I was always early for things in 1982 too.  So I sat in the waiting room at Community Alcohol Services and talked to whoever else was there.  A woman and her son were usually waiting at the same time, I spoke with them a little; the boy's name was Jon I didn't learn hers any time soon.  So, off and on, on Monday afternoon I would sit and wait with Jon and his mother, as time went on we talked a little.  Then, the woman started to show up at Saturday night meetings I went to, my good friend Ralph sometimes brought his wife Lila and the woman came with her.  I learned her name was Linda, eventually.
  It was May when Lila asked me why don't you ask Linda to the dance.  There were dances for sober people at different locations on occasion, this one was in Saco, but I had a car now, so what the heck?
I did ask Linda to the dance and we had a pretty good time, then we started speaking on the phone, and seeing each other.  Later that year, while on lunch break for a Saturday class, I asked Linda to marry me, she said yes.  Then the fun started, none of the children was wild with joy (let's put it that way).
  We were married on November 6th in a small gathering of family and friends, no alcohol was served, the children weren't happy that day either, but one smiled once, for the camera.
  My two kids moved to South Portland with me, Linda owned a house in Ferry Village that more than big enough for everybody.  Linda's friend and coworker rent the other side of the duplex.  Jon and Rhonda were enrolled at Henley School a short walk away - they were always soooooooo happy to be dragged away on opening day! :)
  So, as the year ended, I was busier than ever, and so was Linda.
Some of us are smiling!
The South Portland house, now, it was blue when we were there, and not as messy
Henley School, now a condo.

No comments:

Post a Comment