Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A different kind of weather

  It's the end of November here in middle Maine, and yesterday it was 58 degrees!  It tied a record, I guess that's a good thing, but where's the winter.  I had to switch back to my lighter fleece yesterday; I walked early at 4:00AM about 3 miles with my "winter coat", and that was a "hot" mistake.
What winter used to look like
  It was so warm that what was left of the snowbanks was gone by four in the morning, and while I'll admit the walking was nice - it was unusual.
  Maine gets a winter like this, during a El Nino year I think; and I'm not too worried, we'll get winter at one time or another.
I don't miss this.
  I don't miss the difficult driving, which I really don't have to do, but it's warm; there should be baseball down in Florida by now!
Mr. Paplebon, shown here, will be in Philadelphia next season, good!
  New subject:  Today, November 29th, marks the date in 1890 when the very first Army-Navy game was played.  The game was played on the "Plains" at the U S Military Academy in West Point, NY.  The Navy won the game 24-0.  Three years later Midshipman Joseph Mason Reeves, who later became an Admiral wore the very first football helmet!  He was told by the doctor at Annapolis that if he got hit in the head - one more time - he would suffer "instant insanity" or even death.  He had an Annapolis shoemaker fashion a helmet of leather.
Army-Navy game in 1908, at Philadelphia

No comments:

Post a Comment