Saturday, December 3, 2011

Which one?

I have owned cars most of the time since I was 16, when a nine year old car costs $50.00 right up to the present.  There was a period of time from boot camp until about 1962 when I didn't, and from 1976 to 1981 when I didn't own a car - most of that time I was too drunk to drive anyway.

1948 Ford was first
That photo represents the Ford I owned in 1957-1958, it was dark green and stock - no money for hot rodding.  Art down at the gas station saved me his "good" used tires - about one a week.  Gas was cheap too, I worked for a Chevy dealer and the car I bought belonged to the used car managers wife.
1959 Studebaker Lark wagon
I'm only showing favorites.  This car is the one I bought when I got back to the good ol' USA after two years in Japan, and one year on the USS Hornet in Westpac.  I was in civilian clothes so I could sneak back into my own country in 1966.  The finance guy I used was a retired sailor that I had worked with.  This was a great running car, and good to drive.
1988 Subaru wagon
The first car I bought new.  Ours was maroon unlike the one in the photo.  I bought it when I was hired by the City of Brewer and used it for the 75 mile round trip commute every day.  It had 243,000 miles on it when I gave it to a neighbor.  During the time I owned it I replaced a water pump, two windshields, two lighters in addition to all of the required maintenance in the owners manual.  Good car and reliable, you bet!  This may be number one of my favorites.  Still time left at age 71 to buy another one too.
1993 Mazda Protege
I bought a new Dodge that my wife drove, I used this one.  We had moved to within 12 miles of my job by then.  This, engine wise, may have been the best; you could check the oil any time during the 6000 miles between changes and it was still the same color it was when it was put in!  A five speed transmission (like the Subaru) was super.  We gave this car to a couple who were dirt poor and really needed some help - he totaled it about two weeks later!
2004 Dodge Neon
This one replaced the Mazda, it was small, cheap and mechanically good.  It ran great and was easy to drive.  I bought this one used too.  The little "black bomber" was totaled by my wife, while she was taking our daughter home.  She skidded on some slush to avoid another car, bounced off a utility pole and crashed in to a new steel guard rail.  Thankfully no injuries; seat belts save lives!

So that sums it up, some great cars, some good cars and some I would never buy again, that's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment