Saturday, May 19, 2012

Out for a ride

The Stopping Place, the Piscataquis River Medford Maine - click
  I went for a ride, not too far and not too close, yesterday.  I left Old Town and heading north on State Route 116.  I went through Argyle and Edinburgh (I wasn't in Scotland) and in to Howland.  From Howland I wanted to go on the road Hollie and I used to call 'the other side of the river'; it's the north side actually.
  Hollie and I always stopped in the place where the photo (above) was taken yesterday, it was just another habit.  She liked to throw rocks in the water each time we went.  Then I went to the Trestle Road and took some photos on each side of the bridge and one of the bridge itself, and continued on to Medford Center where we used to live.  I took a photo of Mount Katdahdin up by the cemetery and then one of what used to be part of our woodlot.  Next I was going to take a photo of the house where we used to live but the batteries in the camera were dead, deceased, gone.  So I went to Milo, there are no stores in Medford, to buy batteries and have breakfast for lunch.  My usual unusual lunch time is 10AM because I am up at 2 every morning - so sometimes breakfast is the only option.  I stopped at the Veterans Park and Boat Ramp in Milo for a look-see and went back to Medford via the Paddy Hill Road which is where we used to live.  In Milo the Paddy Hill Road is the Joe Raymond Road, it's off State Six.  I took a photo of our old house and one of the street sign for Paddy Hill Road because it also says "in memory of Clyde A Hichborn" who was my neighbor and friend while we lived there.  Clyde died a few years ago at age 92, he served the Town and the whole area for years and years in many ways.
  Then it was time to go almost home.  I went back to Howland to take photos of the new bridge and of the tannery buildings which are being readied to be torn down.  Once the tannery is removed the Penobscot dam will be removed and the Piscataquis dam will get a fish bypass.  I'm trying hard not to badmouth the process.
Beech Trees on Paddy Hill Road show off their new green.
This road was dirt when we lived there, it was paved the
year after we moved.
Part of the tannery.  We used to make shoes in the United States
some of them with leather from this tannery.

No comments:

Post a Comment