Friday, June 15, 2012

I was their in 1952. Their what??

  I read a lot of news in the local paper, some other papers in the State and online, and of course other site devoted to news.  I also read a lot of comments left by other readers.  I find some errors, no a lot of errors in the way our language is used.
  The title leads to my biggest gripe.  Their, there and they're are not interchangeable, but it's almost unbelievable how many people use them that way.  Their refers to people, there is a place and they're mean those people are doing something.
  A reader of the Bangor Daily News wrote a letter to the Editor yesterday to complain that the paper was using the apostrophe in the wrong way while writing its and it's.  Its is an ownership word, it's mean it is.
  I don't even pretend to be an expert but I did have some tough teachers/instructors in all of my 16 years of schooling (must have been in the first grade for 12).  In college I think there were three courses just on writing and those instructors were tough, picky too.
  Oh!  Let's add to, too, and two to the list.  To indicate directions, too describes inclusion and, or course, two is a number.
  By now you all wish I had work on the 'house project' yesterday, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment