Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A couple of stories

USS Zumwalt DDG-1000
Photo: Robert F Bukaty/AP
  The first Captain for this futuristic ship is aptly named Captain James Kirk, sort of the name of the skipper of the Starship Enterprise.  It's a fitting name for the man who will serve on the bridge that has a 360 degree TV screens of all of the ships activity.
  The deckhouse that houses the radar and other sensors is made of composite at one shipyard and added to the rest of the ship in Bath, Maine at Bath Iron Works, home of the U S Navy's best destroyers.  The Zumwalt is the first in a class of three planned for this series, all will be constructed in Bath.
  The ship is the first with electric propulsion and generates enough electricity to light up a small city.  In the future the ship may have the first rail gun.  A rail gun is an electrically charged set of rails that has enough power to launch a missile, or a series of missiles in rapid succession.

  Now about how I missed writing the blog.  I woke up in plenty of time to do all that needed to get done, including the blog.  I had on my mind two things; one to go to the bank (ATM), and two to check the winning numbers of the lottery (Gimmie Five).  That all done and I ate breakfast and left.  As I was having coffee I talked with a guy about someone we both know.  That led to talk of electrical and electronic stuff the shared acquaintance knows about.
  How does that tie in to this blog?  Let me show you!

How a rail gun works::
Source: www.wikipedia - click to enlarge



No comments:

Post a Comment