Wednesday, May 11, 2011

1942

I don't remember much about World War 2, I probably slept through most of it anyway.  I must have started walking by now, and if that's the case, it was the start of a long period of years for Mom.  I am convinced that I was ADHD and if there had been Ritalin then she would have had me a drip IV!  I was a terror as a kid and worse than that until I was 40.

I'm sure life on our little place changed a lot during the War, Dad left the mill and worked at Kaiser Shipyards in South Portland, a long ride back then before the Turnpike was built, he was in a car pool.  His car, a 1934 Plymouth couldn't have made even one trip.  He taught math at the start and ended as a welder, they turned out about two Liberty ships every week.
A ship under construction
The Yard, when Linda and I got married she owned a house in the neighborhood. 
The shipyard is long gone, it closed right after the war.
I do remember some nights waiting for Dad to come home, but that was probably later than 1942; one other thing I remember is that we couldn't get butter from my Grandmother anymore and had to use Oreo-margarine (just plain margarine now), it was white and if you wanted yellow there was a small capsule of coloring in the package, I loved to stir it in, with guidance and supervision.

Well, let's see what 1943 brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment