Tuesday, May 17, 2011

1947

The North Lebanon School, looks a lot different now
Back to school again?  Oh! Gee!  It wasn't a delightful experience for me as a child.  The school, as I said, had no running water, the indoor outhouse was through the wood shed. Yes, we had a wood stove for heat.  The teachers would arrive early to sweep and start the stoves.  The floors were wooden and were "oiled" every year just before school, I can almost smell it now.  Okay, on the second day of school - guess what?  That's right! A bloody nose! Again!  Eldon Woodman and I were running around a very large elm tree and I doubled back to surprise him - I got the surprise!  I wonder if I'll need a transfusion to finish the school year?  Eldon, by the way, is now a retired high school math teacher.
There were five of us in the first grade, maybe four or five in each of the second grade and maybe six in the fourth.  When I was in the first grade, Lysle was in the fourth.  One day he did something naughty (I can't remember what), and Mrs. Pierce told him to stay in at recess, recess came he got up and put his coat on and was told to take it off and sit down; when Mrs. Pierce came over and told him to stand up, he wouldn't and held tightly to the desk (chairs and desks were separate pieces) she grabbed him and he and the desk stood up!  The desks and chairs were screwed to the wood floor.  His reply was "geeny Christmas!"  Funny, for me, to this day.

1947, also brought us Miracle on 34th Street as a movie, and the song of the year was Johnny Mercers' version of Zip-a-dee-doo-dah.  My, oh my, what a wonderful day!  It was the very first movie I'd ever seen, and I saw one more before I was twelve.

No blogs tomorrow, moving day, by Thursday I should be back. 
Brand new movie!
Song of the year - click
The U S Navy puts the first Black Officer on an integrated ship, the USS Kearsarge - click

No comments:

Post a Comment