Friday, May 20, 2011

1949

In the original returnable bottles, and reusable bottles too.
   In the fourth grade, already.  How did I make it this far, I think it was a pass-thru deal myself, but ,then again, I did pass everything and got okay grades (except for "deportment"!).  It's my last year downstairs.  "Robert" was in my class this year, he was sixteen and school was over for him.

  The Berlin Airlift was in its' second year (I didn't know about it then), in the Navy when I became an aircrew member, some of the pilots had taken part in the "airlift".  The planes I flew in were built in 1952 and 1953, so they had moved on from the older C47's and C118's.

  Frank Sinatra was BIG!  Sinatra and Gene Kelly made the movie "On the Town" about a couple of Navy guys.  Lucky Old Sun and Ghost Riders in the Sky were the two top songs of the year.  Must have been a western themed year - I don't know.

  On Saturday morning we would listen to Sky King on the radio, in the evening it was The Shadow Knows.  Kind of tame stuff compared to what's on TV now, BUT it was entertainment.
Navy and Air Force planes loading in West Germany, for the drops in Berlin.  Each plane carried candy for the kids.
Movie Night!!
Car of the year - Chrysler Royal.  Upholstery fabric made in Sanford, Maine
by Goodall-Sanford.

No comments:

Post a Comment