Wednesday, May 18, 2011

1948

My family, 1948.  I'm the little one.
...and, another year of school, 3rd grade, I didn't get any bloody noses, but I'm sure there were other things that meant I was having fun.  I put thorns from Locust trees on the teacher chair, nice try - no cigar.
   Technology gave us mass produced television, and industry gave us the compact car in 1948 (maybe before).  Music and movies continued to grow along the same lines as years before; big bands were very popular, and signing by groups (Ames Brothers, etc.) took off in a big way.
   India and Pakistan become separate countries, Israel is formed and Newfoundland became part of Canada.  I'm sure there are a lot of other things but, well, we've already got three new flags to think about.  Two, very large for the time, plane crashes occurred in 1948, one had 38 passengers and the largest had 48, quite different from aircraft now that can carry about 400 people; of course we had just started experimenting with "jets" in the military.

The Crosley line, first compact cars and not very popular

The Dumont RA103 "Doghouse" television, how about one for your living room.
We got our first television in 1955.

More new technology - in car speakers at the Drive-In.
Yes! People got excited by them.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment