Tuesday, May 24, 2011

1953

The Chevrolet Corvette, a new car is born
  A new school year, and Lebanon has a new school.  The Lebanon Consolidated School in one building, brand spanking new takes the place of six of the one-room or two-room schools.  In grades one through eight, each grade in its' own room.  I am in the eighth grade, the first graduating class, my Grandfather Grant is the custodian.  My teacher, and the principal is Matthew Lubeakis, the dirty rotten son-of-a-#@**!  He once lifted me right off the floor by the front of my shirt!  I did nothing to deserve that kind of treatment (you know me, a diligent student).  At the end of that first school year, he also took all of the money and left town - not to be heard from since.
  It was also the first time any of us had been on a school bus, the town had two new buses.  Mr Raymond Lord, accompanied by Mrs. Lord (with a broom weapon) were the driver, and self-appointed conduct officer; you better watch you step on here mister!  I did okay on the bus the fear of brooms is a powerful force!
  This is the year the third President in my lifetime took office; Dwight David Eisenhower, a five-star general, became President, Richard Milhouse Nixon was his Vice President.  Ike is the founder of the Interstate Highway System, in his military wisdom it was required that at least one or every five miles of the highway be straight so that in time of war it could be used as a runway for military aircraft.
  Gas was still twenty cents a gallon but the price of a new car had gone up to $1650.00.  Percy Faith had the number one song - Song From The Moulin Rouge, the number two title was Vaya Con Dios by Les Paul and Mary Ford, rounding out the top three was Patti Page and How Much is That Doggie in the Window, good music if you ask me.
Ike and Nixon, the new guys in town
A Hit of the year - click
A star with a long ball, over 500 feet - click

No comments:

Post a Comment