Saturday, May 28, 2011

1957

The year of the tail fin
  This was a pretty quiet year, all settled into the Milford house.  School and work took up most of the time.  I was involved in an auto accident.  Going into Cincinnati on a Friday night, I was driving too fast and hit another car.  There were no injuries, only to the cars - I was driving my fathers car, he was quite happy :\
  I worked all summer, I really think that job kind of calmed me down and at least gave me more to do, and I got paid, how good can it get.  School was just that - school, the quicker it was over was a good thing, except for the Friday night dances, I went almost every week I think, at least that's how I remember it now, fifty some years later.
  Gas was up to twenty-four cents a gallon, a dozen eggs were twenty-eight cents and a new house costs about twelve thousand dollars - damned inflation!
  Elvis and Love Me Tender was the number one song in 1957, followed by Hey Jealous Lover by Frank Sinatra, one of my favorites Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino and Moonlight Gambler by Frankie Lane and at number five Too Much by Elvis.
Desegregation of Little Rock schools, a tenuous time.
Pink and Charcoal, colors of the year, they were everywhere.
Norman Rockwell was at his peak.  This one is After the Prom.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment