Wednesday, May 25, 2011

1954

Bell Labs tests a solar panel - that test equipment now would be a thick pencil size.
1954 should be known as the "birth of corporate greed year",  Burlington Mills bought out Goodall-Sanford, quickly moved to North Carolina (then tax free, cheap labor country) and left over two million square feet of empty space and 3600 unemployed people, my dad among them.  Corporations still do this only now they move offshore.  Dad studied and got a real estate and insurance licenses but no job, we would have to move. (1955).
  1954 was also when the music got good (my words), the number one song was Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley and the Comets (I'd see them in person in only five years), number two was Shake, Rattle and Roll by Big Joe Turner and rounding out the top three Earth Angel by The Penguins. (I sound like Dick Clark).
  1954 was when I started high school, markedly the worst four years of my life, I went in knowing it would suck and it did, terrible.  I see kids that seem to enjoy high school (mostly girls) but I'll bet they lie!  Anyway it was off the Sanford High School where my brother was a senior; back then there was a week where seniors could tell freshmen how to dress or to carry books - that sort of thing, it was not fun, at least for me.
A "Portable" HiFi boombox :) - click
Mr. Hitchcock made another movie, a good one - click (imagine Raymond Burr in a bit part)
Color TV brand new and expensive - click

No comments:

Post a Comment