Wednesday, December 7, 2011

It's hard to....

...tell who is or isn't a U S Navy sailor anymore.  I was confused recently when a guy walking toward me had on a Marine Corps shirt and black pants.  I wondered if the Marines had switched from blue to black trousers.
  Now, I'm a retired sailor, I knew, no longer know, what a Navy uniform looks like, we had blue ones (crackerjack style) when it was cold and white ones when it was warm.  We worked in dungarees with chambray shirts, or we worked in blue or white uniforms that resembled the dress uniform.  I can remember, sometime back in the '60's, when we replaced the white jumper (pull over your head) with short sleeve white, button-up, shirts.
  Over the years the Navy toyed with different fabric for the working uniform, cotton twill instead of denim, and restyled the "ball caps" a couple of times, but now..........it's watch out Marines!
Dress Blue Uniform (0ld) or maybe Old and New
...and white in the summer.
Dungarees and chambray shirt - old work uniform
The new work uniform, worn by Admirals all the way down to Seaman Recruit.
The new "Marine" style uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment