Monday, December 5, 2011

Whats up there?

The other day, while out running errands, Linda and I had an opportunity to see a stunning exhibit; way up in the sky Crepuscular Rays were making the whole southeastern sky look like a lace curtain.  Of course we have no photo, it's hard to stop in traffic near a large regional mall at this time of year.
But, there are photos I have found that will show a few other things you may witness from time to time; and maybe some will be once in a lifetime events; for me that's with ever increasing odds.
Lenticular clouds
Lenticular clouds look like a flying saucer, wind, temperature inversion, and a weather front may all play a part.  One thing is certain they are usually seen over or near mountains.
This cloud appeared over Mexico City...
...just before an earthquake hit the area.  Although the two events may not be related; if I lived in Mexico and say a cloud like this I'd be worried.  To me it look like I made a mistake while painting with watercolor with too much water on the paper and cobalt blue bled into an area where I didn't want it.
Storm clouds, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I don't have a name for these other than Storm Clouds.  This photo was taken right before a severe thunderstorm.  I'm thinking they may be more familiar to those in the west and midwest. Wilbur?
Not really a cloud at all.
This "cloud" is a result of steam rising from cooling towers of a nuclear powered electric plant.  I guess there is a time when pigs do fly!  Very interesting to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment