Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Advertising and the whole truth

  Recent TV ads for Toyota cars offer "Zero percent" or "Zero down" if you buy one, the disclaimer fine print states "for very well qualified" customers.  That could mean it's zero all that if you pay cash for all I know.
  What do an airline pilot, football coach, kindergarten teacher, museum guide and a real estate agent have in common?  Bayer would have us believe that none of them had ever heard of Aleve.  Or possibly none of them knew of any pain control products that last for eight hours.  Strange as that seems, the advertiser wants us to think it's true.
  Does a businessman have to fly on a South Korean airline to fine out extra strength Aspirin isn't only for heart attacks?  That's it safe to take for a headache?  Really?  What an absolute bunch of suckers they think we are.
  Every insurance company that offer auto insurance states that "our rates are the lowest".  More than one of them has to be not telling the truth.  I have had car insurance for 19 years with the same company.  My Credit Union sent me an offer in the mail "guaranteed to save you money on car insurance", so I call the number that was listed.  After telling the gent on the phone what I had now, he offered me the same coverage , are you ready, for almost twice as much as I pay now!  Lower rates, look like I might already have them, besides I have a local agent if there's a problem.
  Do you "buy it"?  Do the advertisers "fool you" every time? I didn't think so.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment