Thursday, April 19, 2012

A deal you can refuse

  Advertisers often use the word "FREE", whether it's a free gift or free shipping, people like the word free.  In my humble opinion the older the demographic the more often the word free is used.  Old people love free, I don't know why.  It doesn't attract me for whatever reason, I think it was that advertising class in college.  That's the course where the instructor asked me what planet I was from, just because of my imagined product.  We were required to invent a product, and make a television ad, and a couple of print ads for our invented product.  My product was "Quacker Jack", and it was a simple bellows to re-inflate a rubber duck that had been stepped on.
  The motorized wheelchair, or "scooter" ad most often used "free gift" is you buy or your insurance buys on of their products.  The free lighted magnifiers being offered can be bought at Oriental Trading, probably, for $12.00 per hundred, so the "free" item is worth twelve cents.
  Actors who work in ads usually act in ads for several companies.  Infinity the maker of that large SUV currently on TV ads uses some people over and over.  An example are the ads which show how the "rear view TV" prevents accidents.  The little girl with the quizzical expression is in all three ads.  That girl is either the daughter of someone involved in the ad (residuals), or hangs around with dangerous families, probably the latter - her education will be paid for by the residuals.
  I never knew that if you simply point to your upper chest and make a concerned expression face the doctor already knew what was wrong and hands you a prescription (already made out) for Nexium.  The prescription has no information like when or how to take the stuff, just the name in large letters.  The doctor also plays in a string quartet or is a construction worker.  Go figure.
  I'm not here to slam advertising, it's a useful tool.  But some things are really overdone.  I watch ads, usually with the "mute" on, so I don't know what the announcer is saying - I probably wouldn't like that either.

No comments:

Post a Comment