Monday, May 28, 2012

.....gone walking.

  No "project" work done yesterday, I was gone walking or watching the Red Sox lose again.  The walking started early, as usual, on Union Street in Bangor.  After I'd been five miles or so and did some shopping I went home.
  Linda said she would like to walk on the Bangor Waterfront because low tide was still a couple of hours away (it really wasn't) but we walked a while anyway.  Then she wanted to walk downtown, so we parked on Central Street (short and not really too central) and decided to find and walk over the footbridge on the Kenduskeag Stream Trail.  Finding the trail was easy (I already kind of knew where to look) and we just following the trail up and down along the stream and easily found the bridge.  The steam has calmed down now from a rapid flow and is clean and clear.  It's hard to believe that 50 years ago the City of Bangor and the mills and a tannery were still operating and a million gallons a day of raw, untreated sewerage was dumped into the Kenduskeag.  In the 1960's with the Clean Water Act the rivers and streams in Maine were cleaned up, or I should say the ones that were dumped in were cleaned up.
  Today, Memorial Day Observed, I will pick up Hollie and either walk in the parade or not.  I have a feeling we won't be walking.  That's okay with me after walking eight miles yesterday.
  Here's a photo from 2010 when we were on our way to walk in the parade.
2010

No comments:

Post a Comment