Friday, May 10, 2013

Electricity is scary stuff

  When I was four or five I discovered a light socket that was empty upstairs.  What happened next is a good explanation of how I grew up.
  Using a bureau that was underneath the socket I opened the bottom two drawers to use as "stairs" and climbed up. This is not a recommended step-ladder.
  I stuck my finger is the socket and WHAM!  Now 110 volts isn't usually fatal and I did live through it.  But, the shock of the shock tipped me over with the bureau on top of me and yelling for my mother.  She kind of thought it was a stupid idea and now I'll have to agree.
  I am scared of electricity to this day, it's dangerous stuff as you'll see.

  Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were a married couple and convicted spies.  Julius worked at the New Mexico labs where the A-bomb came from, he was an engineer.  Ethel was a secretary but her brother, David Greenglass was a spy and she typed the documents he, and her husband, supplied to the Soviet Union.
  Julius and Ethel were sentenced to death while Mr. Greenglass, who testified against them, served 10 years of a 15 year sentence.
  On June 19, 1953 Julius and Ethel were put to death in the Electric Chair at Sing Sing Prison in New York.  The executions were done in New York because the Federal Prisons did not have Electric Chairs.
  On June 19, 1953 when I was still twelve years old my family listened to the live news cast from Sing Sing as the Rosenberg's were put to death.

I am still scared of electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment