Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Quicken quickercism

  I'm going to the Post Office today; I'm going to return Quicken 2014 Starter Edition for a full refund.  I bought this program Saturday and after shoveling yesterday installed it on my computer.
I purchased this program because we will get a new computer and Microsoft Money will not transfer from Windows 7 to Windows 8 or 8.1.  I have used the computer for everyday finances for a number of years, it's easy, I like it.  I bank online, the banks sends almost all of my payments for me, and I simply move the information from one "file" to another.
  Quicken does none of that, I couldn't manually enter information, only what it receives from the bank is recorded.  It is simply not what I want.
  As a work-around I have built several spreadsheets in Excel that do the work MS Money did (with a little more effort, until I can link cells from one sheet to another).  I guess I'll have to do my own "homework".
  Intuit who makes and markets Quicken is a first class company; when I started using the computer to do income taxes a long, long time ago (1991) I used Parsons Technology Turbo Tax which in time became Intuit Turbo Tax, it's installed on this computer as I write.  I think a different, more expensive version of Quicken would do what I want, but it would come with a large amount and variety of things I neither want or need.  I'm going to the Post Office today.

No comments:

Post a Comment