Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday, Monday......

..........so good to me, sang the Mamas and the Papas just a few years ago, it seems.
  What I wanted to tell you is about the bird I saw yesterday while walking.  I had been to a store and was headed to the place I park to go walking.  I noticed a large bird sitting in a tree maybe 30 feet from the sidewalk.  After I parked, ate my snack, and walked back, about a quarter mile, the bird was still in the tree.  I looked and watched for maybe five minutes.  It was a very dark brown all over, the breast may have been slightly lighter, or it could have been the light.  When the bird stretched it's wings, the leading edge was the dark brown but the remainder was speckled white.  I continued walking for about two miles and a half miles and continued to the same spot, the bird was still there.
  After I made notes (always have to write things down), and got involved, in my head, with a problem the State has by not calling horticulture agriculture, they're both farms.  One pays sales tax on business purchases the other does not, it's unfair.  Anyway, the bird, when I looked in the Petersons I thought it was either a year old Bald Eagle, or a Red Tail Hawk.  Closer looks at www.allaboutbirds.org that's Cornell University, they do know about birds, a lot!  I have decided I was looking at a year old Bald Eagle.  There are several pairs of those birds in the Brewer area, it was a great treat.
  I saw other birds too, but that one is special based on shear size.  I finished walking with just a bit over seven miles (not all at once).
  It was a nice and good day until I watched the Red Sox followed by watching the start of the Celtics game.  Yikes! Well then it was bedtime for the geezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment