Thursday, May 3, 2012

Hirundo Wildlife Refuge

Beginning of the trails we took - click
  Well yesterday I finally made it to Hirundo, I had a family friend Flo with me.  I was a little concerned that Flo at age 80 (shhh! don't tell her I said this) but she did fine.
  The trails aren't what I expected them to be - they are a whole lot more "rustic" or wild than I had expected.  As a result we worked our way through in about an hour and twenty for a mile and a half.
It was just beautiful, but wet, there must be one hundred varieties of moss in those woods.
  The road into the Refuge that we were on is dirt, a tad bumpy, and maybe a mile long with a good surface for this time of year.  The road is lined with bird houses and hundreds of swallows are said to make their summer home here, we didn't see many birds at all, a disappointment.
  At the end of the grass strip in the top photo (it's really an earthen dam) is where me, the intrepid explorer, made the mistake; I turned right instead of left which would have been an easier trail.
  The trail quickly turned in to tree roots, rocks and wet places in which pallets had been laid down, the further we went the rougher it got, or so it seemed.  We started on the Pond Trail which had yellow markings, the yellow ended so we turned right again and followed the White Pine Trail with gray markings and got back to the entrance road.
  I should have printed out the map and took it with me, I have a fairly poor sense of direction at times and this was one of those times.
  All in all we had an enjoyable walk, disappointed with the lack of birds, and were kind of happy to get out of the woods.
  I would recommend these trails to most people who can be prepared for uneven surfaces.
I should have followed Pushaw, but Pond looks nice at this point.
Even this turned out to be an easy part, very near the end.
Photos taken by this blogger, feel free to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment