Thursday, November 24, 2011

Aren't you glad...

...that today is Thanksgiving, at least here where I am, in the good ole USA.  And I have plenty to be grateful for.  The holiday was originally set aside to celebrate the harvest season and to express our thanks for all that good stuff that grows up from the ground.
  Some people call it Turkey Day because turkey seems to be the meal of choice for the day, I don't know the origin of that, but I like it.
  When I was a young kid Thanksgiving was a bigger deal, food wise, than it is now.  My family all went to my grandparents house, all of my aunts and uncles, cousins too.  There were usually about 30 to 40 of us.  The adults had cooked two turkeys and one roast, usually pork, for my mother and uncle Fred who didn't care for turkey.  There were big bowls of vegetables, biscuits and gravy (my favorite), and four or five kinds of pies - those ladies knew how to bake pies!  These days my wife and I still enjoy the day, but I no longer ice skate on Nesbit Pond with my cousins.  My wife makes better pies than all the rest, so it's a grateful day indeed.
  I am in hopes that all of you have an enjoyable day!
I know he's in here someplace!

No comments:

Post a Comment