Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tools of the trade

  Tools have been with us for probably thousands of years, ever since some guy decided to pound something with a rock.  Personally I still haven't mastered very many in a useful way.  My grandfathers were both men who used tools very well, one of them was a finish carpenter among many other things.  Being skilled at many things is sort of a Maine way of life, you do whatever you can to feed the kids.  My dad and my brother were or are good with tools, my brother still make furniture for people.
  Of course tools in Maine go back a ways, a long ways back.  Antique tools still make it to market but some now reside in museums.  Union Hill Antique Tools is sort of both, as fine a collection as you will find in one place, to look at, touch or to buy at a decent price. NOTE: That's the Maine use of the word decent; it means maybe reasonable but expensive.
Scroll saw, it's laying down.
it's laying down because I can't upright it in the program sorry
This Scroll Saw, foot powered could probably still be used.  My dad used to go to a dentist when he was young that used foot powered drills.  The drills and this say would have been almost interchangeable.
A hand drill for small work, or fine work
Heck!  We used one of these when I was a kid, but then again I'm an antique too.
An adjustable Saw-set
Both grandfathers had one of these.  It was used to re-set the teeth on a saw into the correct position, so it could be sharpened.  Yep.  People actually used to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment