Thursday, May 10, 2012

And I was off...

...and running just before the early hour of four,
fully expecting nothing, but I'm the fool that's poor.
Got a coffee, my first of the day,
went for gas, and got under way.

I arrived to pick her up at quarter to six,
being glad she's moving, won't be out in the sticks
backtracked to Newburgh for I95,
fully aware that she was really alive.

We first stopped in Waterville, 40 miles away,
she had some breakfast, my number two coffee today.
She bought a CD and one magazine,
I knew that was coming, I have foreseen.

Cool as a cucumber, that's her demeanor,
she'll make people glad that they have seen her,
one pit stop later we're at Biddefords gate,
it's our last stop in Maine, our home state.

Staples is first, we all knew that,
then off to Target, no time for a hat.
The weather is foggy, damp nearly wet,
but we're off today, her heart had been set.

Now off to Dover, the New Hampshire place,
in to my brothers house, she's not in a race.
Because there are stairs - just three steps in those,
but when she saw the rail - - well, she just froze.

Scoot up as she does, while I guard the rail,
before she doing steps, she would rather do jail.
They're just steps to us, what difference it makes,
when we understand that to her they're snakes.

It's a visual thing that I don't understand,
but autistic people refuse steps, all over the land,
not everyone does that but there are many,
who do not like stairs, and do not use any.

A photo at my brothers, it didn't come out too well,
so we'll just ditch it and say "oh, what the hell",
but it's one that I wanted - two brothers with beards,
one looked quite normal and the other is weird.

We hopped down to Newington, near the big mall,
had nice lunches at Longhorn, with iced tea and all.
Then we went to the bookstore just one purchase there,
a DVD set, Newhart and the gang, pull up a chair.

Now over to Staples to laminate more,
I was sure she would use all the plastic in the store,
but she only did nine projects, for her a slow day,
I mean it's "special occasion" - hey, what the hay!

Now we wanted Wal-Mart, but made the wrong turn,
but we'll stop back in Dover, smell that rubber burn,
into the Wal-Mart and back to the car,
she seems to know where the magazines are.

Soon we're making the "big Dover loop"
all 'round the circle - it's the local scoop,
one-way traffic on the most busy street,
makes doing that circle less of a treat.

Now back in Maine the old dad stops the car,
we're in the same state now, call Mom tell how you are.
Back up to Biddeford - no time for a stop,
we wait for Topsham and stop to shop.

Some granola bars, and a new magazine,
each one's like the first that's she's ever seen.
Now off to Augusta, a fine Staple's there,
do four more projects - well that's just fair!

One stop at Sam's, and Italians (sandwiches) for us,
it doesn't take long, like we're in a rush.
Off on route 3, we're China bound,
we don't have much time to fool around.

We leave China on route 202,
the miles between us and home are getting few.
Right up to Dixmont it's a beautiful place,
on the Kennebec Road - now it's a race.

We're back in Winterport - she's safely home,
oh what a day! Yes we did roam,
her Spring Vacation - one day only you know,
450 miles, lots of smiles. It was fun to go.

Now back to Levant, it's a round-about route,
bathroom break in Hampden, give the horn a small toot.
Next to Levant, out here in the sticks,
I got home with the news, on the dot, about six.

So, that's the story, one day in my life,
off with the girl, not home with my wife,
but the wifes happy to see me, safely at home,
waiting for opportunities to further roam.

No comments:

Post a Comment